No change in 70 pc admission policy for locals: SPPU

ST CORRESPONDENT
Friday, 7 June 2019

After receiving backlash for removing the 70:30 admission ratio, Savitribai Phule Pune University (SPPU) has said that there will be no change in the 70 per cent admission policy for local students.

Pune: After receiving backlash for removing the 70:30 admission ratio, Savitribai Phule Pune University (SPPU) has said that there will be no change in the 70 per cent admission policy for local students.

SPPU had decided to relax the admission ratio of 70:30 in the university, under which 70 per cent seats are catered to candidates from Pune, Nashik and Ahmednagar. Apparently, students from these three cities are considered to be local students. The remaining 30 per cent seats are provided to outside Maharashtra students (OMS).

This isn’t the first time the varsity is revising the admission quota for students in SPPU. Initially, the ratio of State students including higher priority to SPPU jurisdiction students and OMS was 90:10. Keeping in mind the need to bring diversity in the university and have national recognition, the then administration had changed the admission ratio from 90:10 to 70:30 ratio.

The provision to remove the 70:30 ratio policy had attracted backlash from some student organisations. It had caused unrest among students from all the three districts under SPPU, creating fear that this provision will affect the local students. They have stated that it will deprive local students of taking admission as their seats will be given to outside Maharashtra students in SPPU. 

However, the university administration has assured that the new provision will not affect the candidates from these three districts under SPPU jurisdiction.

A statement issued by the university stated that the it will ensure that injustice would not be done to the students who were under SPPU jurisdiction and the local students would not be affected by the new admission regulation. University ensures that 70 per cent of admission will be retained for students from these three districts and to achieve this whatever changes are required, will be made in the policy.
An official on condition of anonymity told Sakal Times, “Earlier, there were several reservations even under 70:30 system, which made the admission process complicated. To simplify this, the varsity had decided to provide admission under only two categories, mainly 50 per cent open and 50 per cent reserved category. However, after the demand to retain 70 per cent was made, it has been decided to keep it as it is.”

The move was also initiated with the aim to achieve global ranking under top 500 higher educational institutes. Moreover, according to the University Grants Commission (UGC) guidelines for graded autonomy, the universities need to achieve and maintain national and global recognition, said the source. 

Suggesting a way out for this situation, Sanjeev Sonawane, head of the Department of Education and Extension at SPPU, said, “Due to the graded autonomy, the university needs a national character. For this, the varsity should accommodate national students without affecting the local students. One solution could be that without hindering the quota of State or local students, varsity can increase the number of seats by 20 or 25 per cent and create an infrastructure, which can cater to this addition.”

Related News